A Birth Story | Dallas Rain

THE PREGNANCY: We got pregnant in June of 2014 and Eric was set to leave for training with the Air Force that September for seven months; we got his orders and his date to arrive home was a few weeks after our due date. I was a little bummed, but know that women are so strong and capable and have children while their husbands are away often. I prayed that God would protect us and was prepared to go through the birthing process without him early on. We were together for the first few months of pregnancy which was nice because I had a lot of nausea and vomiting, so he was able to help with Sydney. It was a pretty good pregnancy overall once I was out of the first trimester. I enjoy being pregnant and savor each day carrying a sweet baby love. I attribute overall health to exercise, healthy eating and healthy gut and support system. I stayed with my mama at her house for 6 months during which time we had renters in our tiny home in Temecula. It was a nice 6 months being close to good friends, family and support.

THE BIRTH CENTER: I had felt at peace about an out of hospital birth since I was pregnant with Sydney. We lived in apartments at the time and had inquired about home birth, but as renters were unable to have one. We had a good unmedicated birth experience at Palomar Hospital with Sydney Love (you can read her birth story, here), but I knew I wanted to find a center if there was one nearby with my pregnancy with Dallas. I had OB care for most of baby Dallas’ pregnancy and once I moved back to Temecula in the beginning of 2015, I was on the hunt for a certified nurse midwife. I called and met with several but I’m so grateful to have found, connected and was covered by insurance our perfect midwife for us, Karen of Aerie Midwifery. She supported our family and birth plan and worked out of Babies in Bloom Birth Center, a 30-40 minute drive from Temecula. Most people have a skewed view of birth centers as it being a “free for all”, but the experience was beautiful and safe and emergency equipment was on stand by if necessary.

THE LABOR + BIRTH: It was 5:00 am on Thursday, March 19th and my mama and sister had stayed the night before. I think my body was at peace because what I had wanted was for my sister Nora to be with me as my birth partner and my mama to be with Sydney girl. At 5:00 am I started having contractions and it was dejavu to what I had experienced with Sydney. I labored at home for a few hours while everyone was asleep, sat on the birthing ball and drank water and started tracking contractions. Once they were about 5 minutes apart, I woke up my sister and told her we should make our way to the birth center. We drove through Starbucks and she bought a charger from Rite Aid and I called my midwife and we agreed to meet at the birth center. I got all checked in around 9:00am and was at 5 centimeters and labored for hours in the birthing tub, took several walks and had Sydney and my mom drive down to hang out with us in kids area where Sydney could play with toys and we all ate lunch while I tried to distract myself from contractions.

It was about 2:30pm when my midwife checked me again and I was at 7 centimeters. I was feeling the contractions much stronger and I joked with Nora about how to transfer to a hospital for pain relief. Haha. Child birth is no joke! We went inside after walking a pretty nature trail near the birth center. It was about 3:35pm and I asked my midwife what she suggested for back labor. (I had back labor with Sydney as well and it is pretty intense.) She suggested I get on hands and knees and once I was in that position, everything transitioned quickly. I felt an urge to push and my water broke. My midwife and nurse came in and I told them I needed to push, I pushed and Nora exclaimed she could see Dallas’ head! I took a deep breath and pushed one more time and grabbed her up into my arms! At 3:44pm Dallas Rain entered the world!!!!! Nora Facetimed Eric quickly so he could see her fresh out of the womb and Sydney and my mama were in the next room and got to come in seconds later as well!

It was such a beautiful day and experience and I’m so grateful God gave her to us to parent her and love on her precious life. Eric got to meet her this past weekend at just 2 weeks old! I am so grateful to the women at Babies in Bloom for truly loving us and making such an uneasy experience of birth such a beautiful one. So grateful for the community of women empowering one another. God has made everything perfect in His time.


Meeting her sweet, sweet daddy:

Related post

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

  1. This is so beautiful aurora. I was very skeptical about a home birth and this totally changed my mind and made me all for it. Your story is absolutely beautiful and I really enjoyed it. Hope you and your beautiful family are well.

  2. You are a strong mama!

    Welcome to the world, Dallas Rain! You are so, so loved.

    I loved reading this story. It’s so great to know women who have experienced miracle of birth. Totally learning from you!

    Love you, mamas!

    Yours truly,